As the month of October ushers in pumpkin spice season, we must also be cognizant that it marks the beginning of flu season as well. Influenza, or the flu, is a serious contagious respiratory illness. The best way to prevent the flu is by getting vaccinated every year. During this COVID-19 pandemic, increasing flu vaccination coverage is especially important. Public health measures taken to keep the coronavirus from spreading—notably mask wearing and social distancing—also stop the flu. Our vaccination policy reinforces our commitment to the health and well-being of the community at-large, including our nurses, physicians, Associates and volunteers as an important step to keep people safe and healthy.
October is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month, an annual campaign to raise awareness about the impact of breast cancer and to promote the benefits of screenings. Doylestown Health encourages all actions that lead to personal health and wellness. Our community programs, classes, events and screenings are one way in which Doylestown Health proactively advocates for the health of our community and beyond.
Doylestown Health is proud to announce plans to rebuild Children’s Village as a new priority of ONE VISION: The Campaign for Doylestown Health. We will rebuild Children’s Village on the Doylestown Hospital campus with exciting new features and amenities, and ample space to serve our growing community of families. Children’s Village is an integral part of our health system and our community. Doylestown Health is committed to providing early childhood education and daycare within easy reach of Doylestown Hospital, in a new facility commensurate with our standards for excellence and reputation for compassionate care.
As autumn falls across Bucks County, I encourage everyone to take some time to enjoy our beautiful leaf-peeping season and get taken in by the pure art of the fall landscape.
Health System Highlights
Doylestown Hospital again earned national recognition for quality and patient safety in the delivery of stroke and cardiovascular care, including several awards from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology. This year, Doylestown Hospital received the following Achievement Awards:
- Nursing Excellence: DAISY Award Winner and Nominees for August
Congratulations to the ICU's Erin McHutchison, RN, BSN for being named the August 2021 DAISY Award winner!
- October is Health Literacy month and this year’s theme is “Questions are the Answer." By working together, patients/caregivers and healthcare providers can improve communication as partners in care. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for the first time included health literacy as one of five major goals for its Healthy People 2030 plan to improve the health of all Americans. Join DH’s Health Literacy Committee in raising awareness of this important issue.
- Terrance Randolph, Pine Run Senior Director of Human Resources was selected to be a part of the LeadingAge PA Fellows in Leadership Class of 2021/2. LeadingAge PA is a membership organization of nonprofit senior living and senior care providers.
- The Villager Games/Fall Fun Festival is in full swing at Pine Run. We celebrated Active Aging Week with a series of lighthearted and creative events for Villagers. Fall Fun will continue through the end of October and culminate with a Halloween costume party and dance.
- Results are in for the Intelligencer’s Best of 2021 awards and Doylestown Health and Pine Run won multiple awards.
- Our annual Veteran’s Day breakfasts will be held in all areas of Pine Run on November 11. Pine Run has a long-standing commitment to honoring Villagers as well as Associates who have served our country, whether it be during conflict or peace.
- 10/20/21 Walk with a Doc 12-1pm
- 10/21/21 Hereditary Breast Cancers- Are you at Risk? 10-11am
- 10/26/21 Patient & Caregiver Advocacy 11:30-12pm
- 11/3/21 Getting a Good Night’s Sleep 11:30-12pm
- 11/6/21 Peddlers Village Apple Festival DH Sponsor
- 11/9/21 What is Palliative Care? 12:30 to 1pm
- 11/10/21 Surviving Holiday Eating 11-12pm
- 11/16/21 Darkness to Light Training 5-7pm
About Doylestown Health
Doylestown Health is a comprehensive healthcare system of inpatient, outpatient and wellness education services connected to meet the health needs of all members of the local and regional community. Doylestown Hospital, the flagship to Doylestown Health has 271 beds and a Medical Staff of more than 435 physicians in over 50 specialties. An independent nonprofit health system, Doylestown Health is dedicated to providing innovative, patient-centered care for all ages.