The Gift of Organ Donation
Community Outreach, Health Articles |
April is National Donate Life Month (NDLM), a time to celebrate the people who have saved lives through the gift of organ and tissue donation. The month features many local, regional and national activities to raise awareness and encourage all Americans to register as an organ, eye and tissue donor.
Organ Donation Fast Facts
- 114,000 people in the United States are currently waiting for lifesaving organ transplants*
- Every 10 minutes another person is added to the national transplant waiting list ***
- Twenty people die every day waiting for a life-saving transplant*
- Just one donor can save up to eight lives***
- The United States is the world leader in saving lives through organ donations and transplants*
- Nearly 6,900 living donor transplants were performed in 2018, the highest total since 2005**
Who Can Be a Donor?
Everybody, no matter his or her age or medical history, is a potential donor. It is the medical condition of the donor at the time of death that will determine what organs and tissues can be donated.
Most religions support donation as a final act of compassion and generosity. There is no cost to the donor’s family or estate for the organ, eye or tissue donation.
Does Registering as a Donor Change my Patient Care?
The life of the donor always comes first. Doctors work hard to save every patient's life. Only when there is a complete and irreversible loss of brain function, and the patient is declared clinically and legally dead, is donation an option.
Interested in registering as an organ, eye or tissue donor? Registration takes less than a minute.
Become an Organ Donor
About Doylestown Health
Doylestown Health is a comprehensive healthcare system of inpatient, outpatient and wellness education services connected to meet the health needs of all members of the local and regional community. Doylestown Hospital, the flagship to Doylestown Health has 232 beds and a Medical Staff of more than 435 physicians in over 50 specialties. An independent nonprofit health system, Doylestown Health is dedicated to providing innovative, patient-centered care for all ages.