Who Are We
The Mission of Doylestown Hospital is to provide a responsive healing environment for our patients and our families, and to improve the quality of life for all members of our communities.
In 1992, the Associates, Board of Directors and administration of Doylestown Hospital worked together to develop our current mission statement. It reflects, not only the legacy of the hospital's founders, but also the human, community-minded purpose that still guides decisions at every level.
Doylestown Hospital was founded in 1923 by the Village Improvement Association, a Doylestown-based women's club that was itself founded in 1895 to "promote the health and beauty of the town." Initially intended as an emergency facility to fill the gap in medical care for residents of this primarily rural area, the hospital quickly outgrew its first building at Pine Street and Oakland Avenue.
In 1939, the hospital moved to its second site on Belmont Avenue and Spruce Street. There it underwent several more expansions until moving in 1975 to its current location: a sprawling 75-acre campus on West State Street. Doylestown Hospital's development mirrors the growth of the town and surrounding neighborhoods: it is a community institution in the finest grass-roots tradition.
Doylestown Hospital remains wholly owned by the Village Improvement Association, still a vital women's club in our community. Although a dynamic, professional administration is responsible for day-to-day operations, the underlying vision and purpose of the hospital continue to be determined by the women of the VIA, now 400-strong.
595 West State Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
Phone: (215) 345-2406
Fax: (215) 345-2827