Doylestown Health pediatrician Marion Mass, MD, will lead the August 17th Walk With a Doc event at Doylestown Hospital. She will discuss the benefits walking provides for all ages.
The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion recommends that adults, including those age 65 and older, get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity each week, and that children and adolescents be active for at least 60 minutes each day to see substantial health benefits.
Walking is a great way to meet those recommended guidelines, because it does not require a gym membership or expensive equipment.
Walking Benefits All Ages
Regardless of age, walking provides many health benefits. According to the National Institutes of Health, exercise can help you:
- Prevent or manage chronic illness
- Remain independent
- Maintain or lose weight
- Improve strength
- Improve balance or walking ability
- Manage feelings of depression or anxiety
- Maintain thinking skills
Make Walking Fun
Exercise may seem like a mundane task, but here are some tips for making walking fun, while incorporating it into your everyday schedule.
- Take the dog for a walk
- Play tag with the children
- Walk to work, school, or a friend's house
- Use chores to move more
- Walk at places you enjoy, like a park or shopping center
- Bring along a friend or family member to chat with
- Listen to some of your favorite music as you walk
It's great to encourage the whole family to get out and walk more. However, keep in mind the following safety tips, especially if you are walking alone.
- Walk with others when possible, and take a phone and ID with you
- Let your family and friends know your walking time and route
- If it is dark outside, make sure to wear a reflective vest or brightly colored clothing
- Be aware of your surroundings
- If you are listening to music, keep the volume low so that you can hear noises around you
Join Us for Walk with a Doc
Join Marion Mass, MD, Doylestown Health pediatrician, for a discussion about the many benefits walking provides for the whole family. Bring the whole family — including pets and strollers!
Following the discussion, there will be light stretching and a refreshing 1.6-mile walk with Doylestown Health clinicians around the hospital campus.
The Walk With a Doc program offers wellness information, healthy refreshments and more. Walkers are encouraged to go at their own pace — it's not a race! There is no need for special gear. Participants can lace up a pair of comfortable shoes and enjoy a morning of fitness and fun.
Everyone in the community is invited to join the FREE walk.
When: Wednesday, August 17, 8 to 9 am (Registration begins at 7:30 am); Rain Date August 18
Where: Meet on the lawn in front of the Doylestown Hospital Parking Garage
Each Walk With A Doc Event Includes:
- Brief health discussion by a Doylestown Health physician
- 30- to 45-minute walk around the Doylestown Hospital campus
- Refreshments, giveaways and more!
Learn More and Register
By posting on the Dialogue Online blog, I understand and agree that my comments will be reviewed and may be removed if they are libelous or otherwise illegal, or contain abusive, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate material. Please do not share personal health or financial information on the blog. I also understand that my comments will be available for view by the public and may be copied, stored, reproduced or disclosed by a third party for any use. For more information, please review the Doylestown Hospital's commenting guidelines.