Physicians who specialize in treating high risk pregnancy, perinatologists, also known as maternal-fetal medicine specialists, offer advanced care in support of a healthy pregnancy. Their focus is on diagnosing, managing and reducing potential complications with innovative therapies.
About High Risk Pregnancy
A pregnancy may be considered high risk when there is a condition that increases the likelihood of preterm delivery or other complication. Many times, women are seen by a maternal-fetal medicine expert as a precaution to rule out birth defects and other possible problems.
Maternal-fetal medicine specialists assess risk factors, perform prenatal diagnostic tests and monitor fetal growth and development using state-of-the-art techniques and imaging technology.
The maternal-fetal specialists of Doylestown Health Prenatal Testing Center work collaboratively with our obstetricians. They may see a patient at the center a few times for diagnostic testing and consultation, or follow a woman throughout her entire pregnancy, always working hand-in-hand with the obstetrician.
- Advanced maternal age (35 and older)
- Concerns about fetal growth
- Evaluation of possible birth defects
- Genetic counseling and evaluation for risk of genetic disorders
- Multiple births
- Pre-existing medical conditions including heart disease, infectious disease, diabetes, polycystic ovary disease, thyroid disease and autoimmune disorders
- Pregnancy-related illnesses such as gestational diabetes and preeclampsia
- Prenatal consultation for high risk pregnancy
Maternal-fetal specialists offer therapies to help prevent pre-term delivery, and, in some cases, to repair or reduce the impact of birth defects though in-utero, fetal surgery.
- Craparo, Frank, MD
- Latta, Richard, MD
- Restrepo-Ormsby, Adriana, MD
- Rosenn, Marc, MD
- Smith, Stephen, MD