WHAT IS LSVT LOUD®
It is a research based, intensive, standardized treatment protocol for treating speech and voice disorders in people with Parkinson’s disease (PD) and other neurological disorders. The treatment is completed one-on-one with a LSVT LOUD® certified speech-language pathologist and is customized to the unique communication goals of each person. The program trains patients to use their voice at a more normal loudness level and to “recalibrate” their perception of their voice so they feel comfortable using a stronger voice when communicating at home, at work, or in the community. The program has demonstrated both short and long term improvements in communication function.
- Increased vocal loudness
- Improved articulation
- Improved speech intelligibility
- Improved intonation
- Improved facial expression
- Improved perception of vocal quality
- Changes in neural functioning related to voice and speech
What does the program entail?
- An evaluation by a Doylestown Health LSVT LOUD® certified speech-language pathologist
- Mandatory clearance from an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician (ENT) prior to initiation of program to ensure there are no contraindications that would impact participation as the program requires high breathing and vocal effort to improve communication function. ENT clearance may be completed prior to or after speech therapy evaluation.
- Intensive 4 week program
- 16 (1) hour one on one sessions with LSVT LOUD® certified speech-language pathologist
- 4 x per week
- 4 consecutive weeks
- Participation in home exercise program 2 times per day with daily carryover exercises
- Treatment includes repetition and progressive challenges to improve communication function
WHAT CAN YOU DO AFTER THE LSVT LOUD® PROGRAM?
Continue your daily exercises to help maintain your gains
Utilize your new communication strategies in everyday interactions
Schedule “tune-ups” every 3-12 months as recommended by your clinician
Clark Outpatient Rehabilitation Center
Ambulatory Center, 1st Floor
593 W. State St.
Doylestown, PA 18901
Make an Appointment Today