3D Mammography or Breast Tomosynthesis
3D mammography, or breast tomosynthesis, is an advanced breast cancer screening technology that allows radiologists to get a more in-depth look at breast tissue. Unlike digital mammography which produces a 2-dimensional image of the breast, 3D mammography creates a series of images that allow the radiologist to visualize the breast in multiple, connected slices. This 3Dimensional view results in higher breast cancer detection rates and fewer false positives.
How is 3D mammography performed?
3D mammography is performed like a routine mammogram with compression (squeezing) of the breast. Like a digital mammogram, radiation exposure is well within safe limits.
Who is a candidate for 3D mammography?
Doylestown Health recommends 3D mammography as the breast cancer screening method for patients who meet the following criteria:
- Denser breast tissue. Your breast density is included in the letter that you receive after your mammogram. Learn the facts about breast density.
- Personal history of breast cancer or who carry the gene for breast cancer (BRCA1 or BRCA2).
What are the benefits of 3D mammography?
For women who have dense breast tissue, a personal history of breast cancer or who carry the gene for breast cancer, the benefits of 3D mammography in comparison with digital mammography include:
- 44% increase in invasive cancer detected with 3D mammography
- 16% decrease in recall rate from screening mammography
- 29% increase in the detection of all breast cancers
Source: AJR September 2014, Volume 203, Number 3
Does my insurance cover 3D mammography?
Some insurance companies cover 3D mammography, others do not. If your insurance does not cover the test, the cost is $80.
Women's Diagnostic Center
3D mammography is available at this location.
Main Lobby Atrium, 2nd Floor
595 W State Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
Office visits are by appointment only.
Hours of Operation
- Monday through Thursday from 7 am to 8 pm
- Friday from 7 am to 5 pm
- Second and fourth Saturdays of each month from 7:30 am to 4 pm
View Doylestown Hospital indoor maps for the second floor
The Health and Wellness Center 2nd Floor, Suite 2200
847 Easton Road
Warrington, PA 18976
Walk-in or scheduled appointments available.
Hours of Operation
- Monday from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm appointments (walk-ins no later than 5:30 pm)
- Tuesday from 12 to 6:30 pm appointments (walk-ins 12 to no later than 5:30 pm)
- Wednesday through Thursday from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm appointments (walk-ins no later than 5:30 pm)
- Friday from 6:30 am to 5 pm appointments (walk-ins no later than 3:30 pm)
Request to schedule a Mammogram appointment online or by calling 215.345.2274.