Vestibular therapy is a specialized type of physical therapy for the treatment of vertigo, dizziness, imbalance and falls. It is provided by licensed physical therapists, trained and certified in vertigo and balance disorders.
Symptoms of Vestibular (Balance) Disorders
- Blurred vision
- Motion sensitivity
- Unsteadiness/balance issues
Conditions We Treat
- Acoustic neuroma
- Anxiety associated dizziness
- Arnold Chiari malformation
- Balance or movement disorders
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)
- Cervicogenic dizziness
- Inner ear surgery
- Meniere's disease
- Migraine associated dizziness
- Post-concussive syndrome
- Post-whiplash injury
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Unilateral or bilateral vestibular hypofunction (labyrinthitis/neuritis)
About Our Program
The goal of vestibular therapy is to retrain your brain using exercises that challenge the vestibular system. Doing this will allow your body to adapt and the result will be reduced symptoms.
The certified vestibular therapist will perform a thorough evaluation including assessment of the vestibular organ, vision, visual motor skills, balance, gait, flexibility, strength and coordination. A personalized exercise-based program will be developed based on your evaluation. The vestibular therapist will also assess the need for an assistive device. Vestibular rehabilitation can range from a few visits to six to eight weeks depending on the condition and the goals of treatment.
It is not uncommon to experience an exacerbation of symptoms with therapy. However, it is extremely important that you are compliant and consistent with exercises in the clinic and at home to experience the best outcome.
Doylestown Health offers a specialized vestibular therapy program for concussion management, designed to help those recovering from a concussion learn to manage their symptoms.
Benefits of Vestibular Therapy
- Decreased risk of falling
- Decreased dizziness symptoms
- Improved balance
- Improved ability to stabilize vision/gaze
- Increased body strength
- Return to prior level of movement/function
- Increase in confidence and ability to maintain balance
- Improved neck motion with reduced symptoms
Doylestown Health participates in most major insurance plans. Our staff will assist you with checking your insurance prior to your first appointment. A physician's prescription is required.
595 W. State Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
Appointments: 215.345.2274 (choose option 4)